Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Gender bridging

Fergs and I usually converse on the drive to and from work, and every now and then chance dictates that a brilliant insight would be gleamed. Today was one such occasion. It started with me narrating a communication gap between my parents and I stumbled upon a controversial observation: men rarely communicate (or withhold communication) with the intention to frustrate, while women will resort to frustrating communication.

This is because women would withhold from saying what they really want to because they think men should know it, and/or they want their men to be able to pick it up. It’s like we play a perpetual game of “let’s see if you are paying attention to me.”

When men omit something, it’s usually because they don’t know how to say it, or it doesn’t occur to them that they should. In their head, they don’t think it’s worth telling.
Pic: At sea in a teacup by My Folk Lover.
Doesn't the guy's hair look like Fergus'?This makes a lot of sense to me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what's the action plan thay? Do you plan to stop "frustrating communication"? :D I'm sure we are of guilty of doing so! :D

Liz said...

Yes, how true...
We either withold communication or... start crying...

Athalia said...

AnonQ: Mmmm...good question. I haven't gotten far enough to come up with a concrete action plan, but I've left room for further discussion on this topic via my post title. Thanks for the prod though :)

Liz: we can even start crying and refuse to say why! Double whammy, hehe.