Thursday, June 05, 2008

My 78 cents thoughts

I heard the news in the lift after work. It didn't really sink it then. It was rainy and grey and someone messaged to say that there was a terrible storm in PJ and that traffic was at a standstill.

It took one and a half hours to get back home. Being among lines of cars in the sullen rain depresses me. Phones that keep beeping with frantic messages about the price hike didn't help. The bleakness starts to eat.

I drove out alone after dinner to fill up. The wet roads were mostly empty and cars moved about disconsolately, as if too much in a daze to hurry. Joining the desperate but patient queues at the station, I imagine that this is what people queuing up for war-rations must feel like. Apparently it was different in PJ, where the price panic and rain created vicious driving, blaring horns and car breakdowns aplenty.

It's rare for me to get time alone with my thoughts. The half hour I waited without company or activity to distract allowed secrets that have been ignored to surface.

And so, I grappled with the realisation that I fear the unknown.

No comments: