Friday, April 11, 2008

Loretta Lux and the case of sheep mode

I've attended a fair number of cells/home fellowships in my lifetime, both as a member and just to visit. While you have different programs methods and structures, I recently noticed that there is one common factor to be found in all of them. That is, regardless of how rousing the ice-breaker or intense worship is, once the Bible and lesson sheets come out everyone turns into spiritual beings. They're technically present but pretty much impossible to hold any sort of sustained, meaningful conversation with.

I've heard the terms micro-sleep and zoned-out mode being bandied about, but I prefer to call it "sheep mode" or "blind listening". Because that's what this woolly phenomenon is. They're paying attention in a sort of obedient, passive mode, without really examining what is being put forth before them. They know that they're going to be steered into a predetermined conclusion by the leader at the end anyway, usually called "wrapping up" or "issuing a challenge". It's the equivalent to vegging out in front of the TV, except that because this is church-related and has God in it, it must be good for you. Which I guess it is.

But I'll save my comments on how sheep-like, anti-intellectualism behaviour is in vogue for another time. Right now I want to talk about the works of Loretta Lux, which I came across yesterday. She's a successful fine art photographer known for her surreal portraits of young children. Basically, she takes charming pictures of small 'uns and photoshops them into cold, emotionless shells. And they sell like hot cakes.

Loretta Lux - 75%

Don't they look like they're in cell?

3 comments:

sarah kate said...

it may be true sometimes.. but not always. I find that people can and have been receptive in cell. I dont think it is a fair comment.

sarah kate said...

*during word/cell lesson

Genusfrog said...

i'm convinced that sometimes, it's easier to make stones cry than getting a reaction from young adults after office hours.