Monday, February 11, 2008

Holiday hustle

This year has been peppered with breaks. First I took 2 weeks off at the end of last year, came back to work for 2 days before going to Singapore over the weekend (took a Friday off there). Then it was 3 weeks of work before going off to Australia for 1 week and finally 2 days of work before I took a day off to get a 5-day CNY break.

Breaks are supposed to recharge and energise you, yes? But all the breaks I've taken so far has revolved around some festivity of sorts - a wedding, music fest, Christmas, Chinese New Year. And festive seasons are defined by activity and being constantly around people, which although enriches you experientially and relationally, drains physical and emotional resources. Which is why I want space and solitude right now. I want to be able to hole up without being bugged to fulfill another obligation.

But that's impossible to have right now without being selfish. But more on that the next time. I'm rushing off to another family dinner, and there's a phone call to Muar that needs to be squeezed in between somewhere.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cuteee! squinty eyes!