Sunday, August 31, 2008

We need to play together more


A board game session together can reveal a lot about a group's characteristics. So, after several rounds of Saboteur and a bit of Taboo with the cellies, here are my pseudo psycho-observations:



(1) We talk about work too much. Someone suggested that we ban that topic for the rest of the night after our pizza dinner featured work-centered conversations. I think it's a good idea to continue with it, or all we'll ever know about each other are our work stories.

(2) Our group has trust issues. We're a conservative, guarded bunch. Bring on a game of that requires instinctive alliances and covert manipulation and watch the groping-in-the-dark responses that emerge because no one wants to take the initial risk of sharing information first.

(3) I rediscovered my competitive streak and dislike for rogue players. Thinking about it, I remember getting upset with Liz cos she wouldn't play Risk properly AT ALL, and in high school Vic and I were thunderously pissed when the boys (unfairly, in our eyes) ganged up against us.

(4) Taboo is the acid test of whether a group has gelled together. The fact that we haven't clicked together enough to share references and thought-patterns became obvious after a few rounds.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YES, I got my blogpost title from this blogpost of yours :D..

Feel free to accuse me of paraphrasing.. hahaha.. even though my title says "We need to take more photos", it essentially means the same things. which is, "we dont do enough things together"