Monday, June 30, 2008

And so, three exciting weeks come to an end

Fitting, very fitting. And I say that having gone into the tournament as a Germany fan. Some have called me fickle or disloyal, but I prefer to think that I can acknowledge and support a team that deserves to win. By that, the Spainards had me converted from a secondary sort of support (due to the four Liverpool players in the team) into a strong conviction that this team played well and were worthy contenders to be crowned kings of Europe.

Also, I'm immensely chuffed that Nando scored the sole goal needed for victory. To celebrate, I shall shamelessly indulge in posting a picture sequence of him out-running Lahm and then chipping the ball in past Lehmann. It was a tumble-rumble, impossible-looking maneuver. Yes, I know that I look like a ridiculously besotted fan now.





The run of play blogger summed up their fairy-tale journey very well in this post: What Spain accomplished. Ahh. A team arrives with the label of chronic underachievers with an inferiority complex and leaves as the best side in Europe. Who doesn't love such a heart-warming, happy ending? And while there is a touch of sadness on the other side over Germany's loss, this German fan's clear-headed response is gracious, truthful and one that I take to very much:

"We are dissapointed to have come in second best only.

But congratulations to Spain!

This is a cup winner like we have not seen in a long time.

Which means they were the most consistently good team throughout the tournament, not losing once; they achieved this without any foul manouevers, and not at the cost of some opponents bad luck, and not through bad refereeing.

In other words: a perfect record.

Without envy, without jealousy, but with great admiration, once again:

Congratulations, Espania!"

Photobucket

Indeed. Viva Espana!

No comments: