Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Three My Little Pony Crystal Princesses

for $29.90 with three matching carriages and three matching tiaras and a pink comb included. Not one, you know but three sparkly-winged baby ponies. As a kid, I used to think that My Little Pony was an expensive toy to get. After my acquisition on Sunday, I guess not.

I told Liz that this was a fulfilment of a childhood dream. To own a beautiful My Little Pony with wings like the one we used to have that got lost after we moved from Penang to KL. Like the one I saw in a friend’s house and thought was the most beautiful thing in the world.

But now that they’re sitting on my table -I haven’t quite decided where to put them yet; maybe bring them with me to the office? Not that I don’t already have enough toys in there to look like an adult with maturity issues- I’m not so sure anymore. It feels slightly like drinking flat coke. Which maybe it should. Stuff like that shouldn’t excite anymore. You’re supposed to be excited over things like how your career is advancing, getting a good grade, your football team scoring well or how many people admire you and how many new visitors we had for service. These are good things to get excited about. Not dumb ponies with floppy wings with glitter and multi-coloured hair who can’t even pull their own cart.

“It’s delight and simplicity that I want. Foolishness and fantasy and noise. Angels and miracles and wonder and innocence and magic. That’s closer to what I want…It’s about waiting behind the door of our hearts for something wonderful to happen...[being] a child who is impractical, unrealistic, simpleminded and terribly vulnerable to joy.” Robert Fulghum

I think that’s my problem. I’m waiting behind the door of my heart for something wonderful to happen. Something that no amount of ponies and tiaras and glitter can give. Something that requires you to be impractical, unrealistic and terribly vulnerable.

I'm still waiting.


Up High in the Trees by Black Apple

No comments: