Thursday, April 27, 2006

It all started with

the question, "What's interesting in Vienna?"
"Glassware," I answered. "Viennese glassware's famous."
"My friend said gondolas."
"Well, that too."

That was Monday night (definitely; Sunday's conversation was on weightier matters). After hanging up, I just had to pour over my collection (ok, all three) of glass books. Not that I had any examples of contemporary Viennese examples but it was to remind myself. I've got comprehensive volume on Louis Comfort Tiffany's works (yes, he's the Tiffany lamp guy, but he has magnificant windows too), a book on glass antiques and a slim "Glass: An Inspirational Portfolio" (only RM14.95 from Popular, Jaya Supermarket).

It was there that I first met Dale Chihuly on page 70. There was but a single shot of his "Persians" decorating a train station window but it was enough for me to fall head over heels in love with his work.


Anyway, back to Monday night. I found Chihuly's homesite address in the index of contact details of featured artists!

The result was that Tuesday was hardly productive a day for me at work; www.chihuly.com has an excellent picture gallery of all his work, along with artist's statments and papers. It took me ages just to cover his Seaform collection, which, with the Persians, are my favourites.

Almond Blossom Seaform Set, 1982


Seagreen Seaform with Red Lip Wraps, 1998


Emerald Green Seaform Set with Yellow Lip Wraps, 1994


Icarian Blue Seaform Set with Sapphire Lip Wraps, 1997


Pink and Gold Braun Seaform with Red Lip Wraps, 1983


Lagoon Green Seaform Set with Scarlet Lips, 2001

Now here comes part two. Liz came to get me early and we ran to splurge in The Curve. Ended up spending more than I planned to or should have, but I have no regrets. While walking to the car, we stopped at this little kiosk with a little table selling glass pendants.


Not quite Chihuly, but it's lovely. The little bowl it's resting in was also purchased yesterday.

As you can tell, I love glass.

2 comments:

Papati said...

Wow, pictures.

heh heh..

Genusfrog said...

gondolas are in venice. not vienna. :p