Friday, September 30, 2005

Screwtape

Lived through another day in an exhausted stupor. I was standing in the shower yesterday when this excerpt came to me.
“Do not be deceived, Wormwood. Our cause is never more in danger than when a human, no longer desiring, but still intending, to do our Enemy’s will, looks around a universe from which every trace of Him seems to have vanished, and asks why he has been forsaken, and still obeys.”
It’s from C.S. Lewis’s masterly ‘Screwtape Letters’, which documents the wise old devil Screwtape’s letters to his nephew Wormwood. Interestingly, ‘Screwtape Letters’ was dedicated to J. R. R. Tolkien.

In ‘Reaching for the Invisible God’, Philip Yancey writes about Christians who “volunteered to serve others in a spirit of idealism [that’s me!] As trials increased, they anticipated a closer sense of God’s presence, more support, stronger faith [exactly!]. Instead, they found the opposite.”

Why? Lewis goes on to write:
“It is during such trough periods, much more than during the peak periods, that it [the believer] is growing into the creature He wants it to be. Hence, the prayers offered in the state of dryness are those that please Him best…He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there He is pleased even with their stumbles.”

Both Pastor Julie and Joseph have pointed out my strange idiosyncrasy of raising an issue and then proceeding to resolve it on my own. Well, looks like I did it again. But I really appreciate those who have offered their two cents worth (ok, it's worth much, much more!) of support and encouragement. Kudos to Rog and Lim!

4 comments:

Papati said...

Standing in the shower, eh...?

OK, I know this blogs quite personal but...LOL! Just playing..

Lewis, Yancey, great writers. But you should point out that the quote you took from Screwtape Letters refers to God as The Enemy so as to clear up any possible confusion.

Cheers, babes.

Anonymous said...

Standing in the shower.... I like this blog more and more as time goes by, don't ask me why or I'll blush and my nose'll sweat xD

Athalia said...

Argghh....what was I thinking? Didn't expect that little phrase to attract so much comment. I guess I meant to say that thoughts have a way of falling in place when you're absorbed in something else...
That aside, looks like I don't need to point out who The Enemy is as you've already done it for me Rog.

Anonymous said...

i don't have a blog.. please don't force me... T_T